Saturday, March 7, 2015

Sections 33 & 34 - Rudder & Brake Systems and Flap Actuation

Build Hours Added Since Last Post:  18.0

Sections 33 & 34 flew by in no time!  Well, at least the finishing up parts of Section 33.  I had previously done a lot of the prep work for the brake pedals about a month ago.  Why you ask?  Well, I decided to add a little "pop" to the cockpit interior so I had the brake pedals (and a few other parts) anodized with red dye.  Let me tell you, it was no easy time finding a place to anodize the parts.  That is not to say that there are few anodizing shops.  Quite the contrary.  It's just most places can't be bothered with small batch hobbyists that are perhaps a little too picky.  Thankfully, I found a local place that was more than willing to accommodate my request.

Here's a shot of the brake pedals after they were anodized.  Pretty good, right?



After the prep work, it was no sweat mounting the pedals and connecting the brake lines.


Brake fluid reservoir.


With Section 33 complete, I moved into the Flap Actuation section.  Again, no problems here.

It began by match drilling the connections.  Here, the instructions call for using the aileron alignment jig (pictured towards the top of the picture below).  Thankfully, I had the foresight to hang on to that little gem!




There you have it!  Two sections that blew by in no time!


Friday, March 6, 2015

Section 32 - Baggage Area

Build Hours Added Since Last Post:  25.0

Finishing off the baggage area of the RV-14 is a simple enough task.  It's really a matter of riveting the baggage floor and side panels.  For the most part, the panels are riveted using pull rivets.  This means that there's little or no dimpling required.

Prior to starting, I snapped a few pictures of the open floor (mostly as future reference).





Next, I prepped and placed the floor panels.


Once the floor panels were fixed, the side panels and flap motor channel were riveted to the airframe.


The end of Section 32 marked the time to paint the cockpit interior (if so desired).  Since I haven't determined what kind of finish panels I might install (if any), I decided it was worthwhile to paint it while there was easy access and little masking required.  I chose Zolatone Gray Stone.  Zolatone's finish is a mix of fine speckled colors that has a light texture to it.  I liked the idea of this finish because of its tendency to blend the exposed structure.  I used a Harbor Freight sprayer with good results.  Although Zolatone calls for a 2.0mm tip, the 1.7mm tip worked without issue.

Here's a closeup of the finish.

And here's some wide shots of the cockpit.  With about 2.5 coats, I used a half gallon.  Of course, I wasn't being as careful as possible, and I am sure that I wasted more than necessary.  That leaves me plenty for the remaining panels due with the finish kit.