Sunday, July 20, 2014

Field Trip

Build Hours Added Since Last Post:  0

While I, and nearly 200 hundred others, wait for the much anticipated release of the RV-14 forward fuselage, I've more or less been in the position to take the summer off from the build.  It's not something I would have chosen voluntarily, but it's given me some opportunities to venture out from the workshop.  That's not to say that I haven't spent some time making small corrections.

The first re-do was the wingtip lenses.  The first time 'round I just wasn't happy with the fit of the lenses.  They just didn't have a seamless finish.  So I ordered a new lens set and while still not perfect, it's much much better.

I also decided to re-do the aileron push rods.  The measurements given in the instructions for the tube component is not quite as long as it needs to be in my opinion.  Originally, this transferred to the rod end bearing being extended a bit too far out of the threaded rod end.  In my situation, the rod end bearings screwed only a few turns into the threaded rod end.  I just didn't trust that they would pull out at some point leaving me without a crucial control.  I added about 5/8" to the rods and that seemed to do the trick.

The last bit of futzing around includes filling the gaps in the tail surfaces where the fiberglass tips connect to the metalwork.  Messy and tedious.

Over the July 4 weekend, I had the opportunity to see an electric airplane build in progress.  The builder anticipates that the plane will fly for nearly an hour on a charge using a 60hp motor and an array of lithium polymer batteries.  I'm really looking forward to seeing this in the air!

Electric motor mounted to firewall.
Battery array that  mounts beneath the electric motor pictured above.